For a fluffy, slightly sweet, golden treat, look no further! This milk bread recipe, made with Natrel Fine-Filtered Milk and Natrel Salted Butter, will give you the softest, fluffiest bread yet. There’s no need for a trip to the bakery with this recipe in your pocket. Don’t forget to save some of the milk for that golden finish.
- 1 package (8 g) active dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup Natrel Fine-filtered milk
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup Natrel Salted butter, melted
- ¼ cup reserved flour
- Fleur de sel
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. Natrel Fine-Filtered Milk
- Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup (60 ml) of warm water for 5 minutes.
- In a stainless steel bowl, sift together the 4 cups of flour, salt and sugar.
- Using the hook attachment, combine the milk, egg yolks and melted butter in a mixer.
- Add half of the sifted flour mixture to the liquid and combine. Mix in the remaining flour mixture and knead using the hook attachment for 1 minute. Scrape the dough from the hook and sides of the mixing bowl. The dough should be a little sticky but not too moist. If too moist, add a little more flour and knead the dough in the mixer for another minute.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface and knead by hand for a minute. Shape the dough into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with some oiled plastic wrap.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for 1 to 1½ hours, depending on the room temperature.
- Line a 9 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease and set aside.
- Once the dough has almost doubled, punch it down and transfer the dough to a floured surface. Divide into five equal balls of about 8 oz. (225 g) each. Cover the balls with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming.
- Working with one ball at a time, flatten or roll out dough to a 8 x 5-inch rectangle. On the long side, fold in about 1 inch on both sides of the dough. Then, starting from the end closest to you, roll the dough into a log. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the logs seam-side down on your prepared loaf pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and let rest for 45 minutes to 1 hour until dough has doubled in volume and rises slightly out of the pan.
- Meanwhile, place the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Prepare the egg wash by whisking the egg and milk together.
- Brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with some fleur de sel. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with butter or anything else you wish. You’re going to love this bread!