Ever since the new Canada’s Food Guide came out last year, we’ve been hearing a lot about protein. And for good reason: Protein is an essential nutrient for many vital functions. For example, it helps build and repair all bodily tissues, including skin and muscle. It’s also used to produce hormones and antibodies (i.e., immune cells) and even helps transport oxygen and certain vitamins in the blood.
And it doesn’t stop there: Protein also contributes to the feeling of satiety (i.e., feeling full and satisfied after a meal) and healthy weight management. This is why it’s essential to consume enough protein every day for good health.
1. It’s not always easy to meet your daily protein needs
When time is short, we’ve all cut corners by skipping breakfast or replacing lunch with a snack. Our bodies adapt to these situations, but it can be difficult to meet our daily protein needs if each meal doesn’t contain enough of it, since the body keeps very little in reserve.
What’s more, recent studies indicate that an equal distribution of our protein intake at each meal is even more beneficial to our health. A healthy adult should consume between 25 g and 35 g of protein per meal.
The new Natrel Plus protein-enriched beverages contain 18 g of protein per 250 mL (1 cup) serving, twice as much as regular milk. Whether consumed at breakfast, as a snack or at any other low-protein meal, they help us meet our daily needs and get the most from our protein intake.
2. Dairy protein is high in quality
The protein in Natrel Plus beverages isn’t just any added protein: It comes entirely from 100% Canadian milk. The filtration process used concentrates the milk protein and controls the source, quality and quantity of the protein added to our products while retaining all the nutrients naturally present in milk.
Dairy protein provides several advantages over other protein sources. Firstly, it contains all the essential amino acids, the building blocks of protein which must come from the diet because the body can’t produce them itself. Second, it’s one of the most assimilable and usable proteins in the body.
Combined with the high protein content of Natrel Plus products (18 g per 250 mL serving), these benefits make these new beverages an excellent source of quality protein!
3. Natrel Plus dairy beverages offer many “pluses”
In addition to being an excellent source of protein, these new products provide several other benefits:
- You have the choice of three varieties: white 2%, white 3.25% and chocolate 2%. All three are available in two-litre cartons.
- The white beverage variety contains no added sugar.
- The chocolate variety contains 50% less sugar than regular chocolate milk.*
- Natrel Plus beverages have no artificial flavours or sweeteners.
- They are lactose-free, since they are made from our ultrafiltered, lactose-free milk.
- They are also gluten-free, like all milks.
- Each product is a source of 11 essential nutrients.
- Natrel Plus beverages are certified kosher.
Finally, like all Natrel products, Natrel Plus beverages are made with 100% Canadian milk.
4. For food or drink, hot or cold
Whether you prefer your milk hot or cold, on its own or in your coffee, Natrel Plus protein-enriched beverages can be used any way you choose. You can even use them for cooking, just like regular milk!
- For breakfast, pour them into your cereal, oatmeal or coffee. You can also use them to make crepes, muffins or a nutritious smoothie.
- For lunch or dinner, add them to soup, mashed potatoes or even an Alfredo sauce!
By using Natrel Plus lactose-free dairy products in your meals and beverages instead of regular milk, you can easily increase the protein content of your meals.
5. A new product suitable for everyone
Natrel Plus products are ideal for your family. However, they are not recommended for young children, whose needs are easily met by a normal diet.
Does your busy schedule make it difficult to get enough quality protein? Do you have a weak appetite? Natrel Plus products can come to the rescue. In addition, our protein needs increase at certain times, such as during moderate or intense exercise several times a week, during the second half of pregnancy or during the growth of school-age children and teenagers.
Whenever our diet is less than optimal, Natrel Plus beverages can be an ally in helping us meet our daily protein needs.
Still have doubts? It’s worth keeping in mind that to match the amount of protein in a glass of Natrel Plus (18 g per 250 mL serving), you would need to consume one of the following foods:
- 4.5 L of an almond beverage
- 5 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 4½ 100-g containers of yogurt
- 3 large soft-boiled eggs
- 10 tablespoons of chia seeds
Natrel Plus delivers 18 g of protein to start your day off right !