These brownies are deeply chocolatey and the edges are nice and chewy. You can add toasted walnuts or pecans, and other times chocolate chunks (milk chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate or even all three!). The best part is that all the ingredients are mixed in the saucepan that you use to melt the butter and chocolate, which means fewer dishes to clean!
- ½ cup Natrel Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup chopped good quality dark chocolate (6–6⅓ oz.)
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup chunks of good quality chocolate (dark, milk and/or white chocolate), divided
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Butter a 9” x 9” brownie pan and line it with parchment paper so that it hangs over two of the sides. Dust the two other edges with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and dark chocolate on medium, stirring every so often. When everything is melted, take the pan off the heat.
- Add the granulated sugar and stir it in, then add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to stir well after each addition. Mix in the salt and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour and cocoa powder. Next add three-quarters of the chunks of chocolate.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon or small offset spatula. Scatter the remaining chocolate chunks on top.
- Bake the brownies for 30 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. For fudgier brownies, bake them for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely at room temperature before cutting.