This sweet dessert comes with fresh strawberries in between layers of rich, crumbly cake made with Natrel Lactose Free 2% for a light texture and fruity punch. Top it off with soft, smooth whipped cream brought to life with Natrel Lactose Free 35% Whipping Cream, and you’ve got the perfect sunny day dessert!
- 1 CUP granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ¼ CUP Natrel Lactose Free 2%
- 1 TSP. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ CUPS cake flour, sifted
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- ¼ CUP Natrel Lactose Free butter, melted
Stabilized Whipped Cream
- 1 TSP. unflavoured gelatin
- 4 TSP. cold water
- ⅛ CUP sugar
- 1 ½ CUPS Natrel Lactose Free Whipping Cream 35%
- 1 TSP. vanilla
- 1 POUND strawberries, washed and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour an 8-inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar to the egg whites and beat until they are stiff and glossy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time. Add the Natrel Lactose Free 2% and vanilla and slowly beat until combined. Beat in the flour and baking powder. Incorporate the melted butter.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack. Run a knife around the inside of the pan and remove the cake.
Stabilized whipped cream
- In a small saucepan, combine gelatin and cold water and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place over low heat and stir constantly until the gelatin dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a bowl, add the sugar to the cream and whip until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the gelatin while beating. Add the vanilla.
- Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Slice the cake horizontally into two layers.
- Place the bottom layer on a serving plate. Arrange half of the strawberries over the cake and spread half of the whipped cream on top.
- Place the second layer over the first layer. Spread the other half of the whipped cream on the cake. Garnish the cake with the remaining half of the strawberries.